I am back with another recipe and this time, my family brought a brunch of banana about 5 days ago. We couldn’t eat it on time and two remaining bananas were overripe. In addition, my fridge still have the last bit of whipping cream that was just nice of 200ml.
I decided to matchmake Mr. banana and Ms. dark chocolate on a date and they turn out to be a perfect match because the natural sweetness of the banana comprehend well with the bitter sweetness of the dark chocolate. This cake combination is absolutely amazing and my family and friends tried it and they told me it was surprisedly good and they did not know that banana could match well with dark chocolate.
This cake is relatively not sweet so it is good for those who are particular about the sugar intake, about 9g per slice. I will share the recipe below.
No bake chocolate banana cheesecake recipe (contain fresh banana puree):
Serving size: 3-4 pax, 6 slices
Cake pan size: 15cm diameter by 7cm (height)
For crust based:
- 90g of Oreo cookies, finely crush
- 50g of unsalted butter, melted
Cream cheese based:
- 250g of Philadelphia cream cheese block, room temperature.
- 50g of powdered/icing sugar
- ½ teaspoon of organic apple cider vinegar OR 1 teaspoon of lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon of pure vanilla extract
- 110g of no added sugar plain/greek/greek-style yoghurt, room temperature (I used Meiji Bulgaria natural yoghurt)
- 80g of chocolate chips, melted and cooled** (I used 55% dark chocolate, any chocolate is fine except for white chocolate)
- 2 ripe banana, mashed (about 230g)
- 200ml of whipping cream, cold
- 6g of gelatine sheet or powder
- 30g of milk, warm
**I used a double boiler method to melt the chocolate. You can also use a microwave to melt chocolate at low-medium power. Please melt the chocolate and allow it to cool for at least 10 minutes before pouring it to the cream cheese mixture.
- Mix the crush Oreo cookies and melted butter until the cookies is slightly damp and pour the crumb into a removable bottom cake pan and place in the freezer for 30 mins. (Remember to take out after 30 minutes)
- Place the gelatine sheet into a bowl of ice cold water and soak it for 6mins. Alternatively, if you are using a gelatine powder, pour 30g of milk into the gelatine powder and set aside. Do not mix.
- Place the cream cheese block in the mixing bowl and mix well with a spatula till smooth texture.
- Add the icing sugar to the cream cheese and mix till the sugar are dissolved.
- Add apple cider vinegar (OR lemon juice), vanilla extract and yoghurt. Mix well and set aside.
- Pour the cold whipping cream in the mixing bowl and start whisking until a soft peak is achieve.
- Take the whipped cream and gently fold into the cream cheese mixture.
- Squeeze out the excess water from gelatine sheet, add 30g of warm milk and stir well. Alternatively, if you are using gelatine powder, microwave in medium-high power for 30 secs and stir well.
- Add the gelatine milk into cream cheese mixture and mix well.
- Split the cream cheese mixture into two mixing bowl. Leave about 200g for the banana mixture. The rest will belong to the chocolate mixture.
- Chocolate Cheese mixture: add 80g of melted chocolate into the cream cheese mixture and mix well.
- Pour the chocolate cheese mixture into the cake pan and place in the freezer for 20 minutes only.
- Banana Cheese mixture: Mashed the banana into a puree and add the puree into the cream cheese mixture. Mix well.
- Take out the cake pan after 20 minutes, pour the banana cheese mixture into the cake pan.
- Fridge the cake overnight. (Do not place in the freezer).
- Slice the cake and cake and serve!